July 13, 2011

A Crib Mobile Tutorial

I made this mobile to go with the blanket for sweet baby Emery that finally made her big appearance less than two days ago...we got to meet her yesterday and she is just the cutest thing!  


I can across the mobile below on Pinterest (one of my new addictions) and loved it so much that I wanted to try to make one as a gift for Jamie's shower...there wasn't a tutorial so I just made it up as I went...here is how I did it:  
MATERIALS: 
Fabric scraps (to cut out leaves)
Fabric Glue
Ribbon
Embroidery Hoop (just the hoop without the screw)
Flowers (I found these at Michaels in the scrapbooking section)
Rhinestones (for the inside of the flowers) 

TUTORIAL: 
1. Cut out pairs of leaves.  You could make a stencil out of cardboard so that they all look the same.  I liked that they all looked just a little bit different so I just free cut them.  Just make sure that you cut the pairs together so they match up. 

2. Using fabric glue, glue the pairs together onto the ribbon spacing them out about 1.5 inches apart (glue will help the leaves stay in place when sewing and it also made them thicker and more sturdy)  I used ten pieces of ribbon with 4 leaves on 5 of the ribbon strips and 3 leaves on the other 5 ribbon strips...this way, when you attached them to the hoop the leaves will staggered.   

3. Sew around the edges and down the middle of each leaf...see image below (I really just did this because I liked the way it looked...but you could easily skip this step as the glue should hold just fine on its own). 
4. Wrap fabric scraps around the embroidery hoop and glue edges with a hot glue gun.  

5. Pin the ribbons with the leaves on them staggering the ones with 3 leaves and 4 leaves.  After you like the spacing, tie or glue on the ribbons to the embroidery hoop.  

6. Attach 3 ribbons to the top of the embroidery hoop so that the mobile is hanging level.  Then attach one long piece of ribbon to the top that is long enough to hang from the ceiling. 

7. Make a ribbon poof, by just cutting small strips of ribbon and tying them together.  Attach a cute little birdie.  I found mine at Leaping Lotus in Solana Beach.
8. Attach flowers, using a hot glue gun, to decorate the embroidery hoop and then glue rhinestones into the middle of each flower. 
That's it!  All done!  

So after I made the mobile, I came across this mobile that I LOVE sooo much! 
Of course this one had an amazing tutorial that would have been super useful but maybe it can help you...she did a couple things differently, including the red beading top, which I am in love with!...maybe I will try this one next time.  

Welcome baby Emery, I hope this mobile brings you lots of smiles and sweet dreams!    

2 comments:

  1. katie!! that last mobile was the one i was telling about that i had seen!! isn't it to die for?!?! the one you made emery is amazing!! good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful..lLove the colors you chose too! Guess I'm going to give it a try, thanks

    ReplyDelete